Friday, May 3, 2013

REBLOGGED: First Nursing Experience

This is a reblogged of my first nursing experience as an RN in one of the most prestigious hospital here in Davao. Since I will be deleting my other personal blog, I will share my experiences what was it like being a neophyte nurse in a real hospital setting, being challenged along the way and meeting people from different walks of life. 

Journey of a neophyte Nightingale


September 6, 2010. This date marks my first hands-on experience on what I call the “Nursing Battlefield.” It also commenced my journey in the Nursing field with less supervision from clinical instructors of whom I depended on for long years in the study when I was still a student. But time flies so fast and I am now using my very own earned license. This is it. Let the marathon begin.

Right now, I'm having my 4 months trainee-ship here in Davao's government hospital. Well, 2 days before, I get so giddy because I can already imagine myself as a "real nurse" in my own battlefield. Doing stuff what nurses do and other things. But, I'd say that my expectations were way overrated than what the reality offers. I'd probably reprimanded myself: "Hey MJ. You're not having your training in a private hospital. Darn, you're in a government hospital!" Yeah subconscious mind, you're definitely right!

For the first week of my first month, I'd definitely say that I feel so down and stupid. I was really stupefied basing on what I had observed in my first rotation. I admit my dear brain went blocked-out. I hardly can't think of things on what should I DO FIRST! Man! That was crazy that I almost want to back-out from this training. I said to my co-trainees that if I can't handle the situation anymore, I'd probably decided to finish this off-SOONER. But fate handled me so well and it turned out that I was able to surpass "TOXICITY." Thanks to all the people that have helped me (PGNTs, Co-trainees, and Staff) and indeed I was inspired by them. In a short span of time of knowing them, I can say that I've seen their capabilities and I learned a lot of things from them based on what I heard from their stories.

I would say that I am nothing without all these challenges that honed the kind of professional I am now. I know that it's too early for me to say this but I am proud that I was able to, right? I am not bragging but rather sharing my realizations with regards to where I am now and what have these realities of being a nurse have taught me.  Well, maybe I might conclude that I am fortunate enough to be unexpectedly blessed by all of these things that happened in my life. Let me end this by saying ciao and kudos! :D

Co-trainess and PGNTs 
With the staff RNs

No comments:

Post a Comment